Attachment and Psychopathology:
The development, prevention & treatment of psychological disorder
- 21 August - 23 August 2019
This three-day course focuses on the development, prevention and treatment of psychological disorder. It weaves together theory, human development, assessment, case examples and treatment applications to reframe maladaptive behaviour as adaptive strategies for self-protection. The course focuses on development from infancy to adulthood, emphasising the process of adaptation and developmental pathways that carry risk for psychopathology.
The model used is the Dynamic-Maturational Model (DMM) of attachment and adaptation, developed by Dr. Patricia M. Crittenden. The DMM is relevant to individuals who are at risk, who have been exposed to danger, who display disturbed or maladaptive behaviour, or who are diagnosed as having a psychiatric disorder. A particular emphasis is cultural influences on attachment.
- Perceiving discrepant behaviour, seeing commonly overlooked clues.
- Identifying false-positive affect and uncovering hidden problems in their early stages.
- Differentiating symptoms and self-protective strategies, specifying how symptoms function.
- Functional formulation: moving beyond symptom-based diagnoses to understanding the underlying function of behaviour (i.e. the needs the person is trying to meet).
Treatment planning, choosing treatment strategies to:
- Increase efficiency
- Lower cost
- Reduce risk of iatrogenic harm
- Level of family functioning scale.
- Gradient of intervention scale.
- Downloadable materials.
- Daily text of slides (with registration only).
- Bibliography of numerous published papers.
Who Should Attend
This course is aimed at professionals working within mental health, social work and related fields. A solid understanding of attachment theory is beneficial.
Early Bird Rate: $855 (incl. GST), register and pay before 24 July
Full Fee: $915 (incl. GST)
Please read our Payment Terms & Conditions
Date & Venue
Date: 21 - 23 August 2019. Each day will be held from 9:30am - 4:30pm.
Venue: To be confirmed.
Payment Terms & Conditions
Payment must be made at the time of registration and only credit cards (VISA and Mastercard) will be accepted. Your registration will not be confirmed unless payment has been processed.
A confirmation/tax invoice will be issued upon registration to your nominated email address.
A full refund will be issued for cancellations up until 7 days prior to the workshop. No refunds will be issued after this date however substitutions are welcome.
Please be advised if payment or cancellation notification is not received as per the above terms and conditions your ability to attend future event will be impacted.
Should the Berry Street Childhood Institute cancel a course for any reason, those registered at this time will be entitled to a full refund of registration fees only, and this will incur no administrative charges or penalties.
- 21 August - 23 August 2019